anybody else tried this stuff out?  Does it lay down nice?  Just curious...

Views: 8861

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm sure we can figure out why your having problems. Did you use the full system? skip the base coat? did you use Surebond primer? did you do any post finishing and if so what? When did the spots appear? Call me if you want to go over this on the phone (probably quicker than here) at 607-655-1517

Hi Bob, thanks for calling me back, I'm sure we'll get it figured out.  It is sounding like I took too much off when I finished it, that plus not waiting a full 3 days. 

I wiped on one thin coat of Surebond followed by 2 finish coats sprayed on 90 minutes later, (10 minutes apart, and didn't use the Basecoat because I wanted to intensify the color a bit).  Next day I sanded with a 120 grit sandpaper to smooth the surface and worked down to 600.  After that I buffed and polished.  Although I didn't cut through anywhere, I likely didn't have enough material left on the surface. 

Good to hear the new instructions moves the second coat up to 15 minutes after the primer, whether it is the Basecoat or the final coat.  Thanks for your help with my other questions too.

Bob Chatterton said:

I'm sure we can figure out why your having problems. Did you use the full system? skip the base coat? did you use Surebond primer? did you do any post finishing and if so what? When did the spots appear? Call me if you want to go over this on the phone (probably quicker than here) at 607-655-1517
My Pleasure. Keep me posted.

Any suggestions on increasing the scratch resistance / removing existing scratches / completely stripping?  Satin finish that was sanded with honing compound (to remove scratches that occurred shortly after install). Tops are about a year old.

Hi Benjamin, I've used 3m Imperial Finishing/Polishing Compound to remove scratches and clean up the top, there's also a couple other ways. give me a call and we can talk about it. 702-580-4069

Good advice Mark, I read your application commentary and you are spot on..........I've got well over 150 tops and haven't had one problem......

The best advice would be to simply be honest and tell people to stay away from it.

http://concretecountertops.ning.com/video/img-0062

Since I have joined this forum, I have spent most of my time reading and trying to learn and staying out of conversations like this. I have to say, with what I have read, why would anyone even listen or believe some of you experts?  UV, EAP, Amperseal, now what else?  Some new miracle for us to buy from you?  Seems like a lot of BSing to me.  You guys should be held accountable in my opinion.

In response to Bill's post, I have been using amperseal for over a year now.  I had delam issues in the beginning, but haven't had one since the summer.  I think most issues came from wetting out the surebond, and applying the surebond before the second coat.  I think people should be weary of all sealers IMHO, and test them to gain confidence.  Amperseal is a good sealer, but cringe every time I pull the blue tape when filling my seams.

Hey mark do you have any advice on fixing minor scratches?

Kasper, I'm pushing 3 years now on the oldest. I helped test Amperseal for American Polymer I'm not sure of the warranty they offer, and I don't want to put words in their mouth. I know what I offer and thats a limited lifetime on my work. Amperseal has over 20 years of use as a graffiti protection system on the exteriors of buildings and other concrete and masonry. I know that I did a great amount of testing and had no problems and was and still am very happy with it. When I began testing I gave some samples to a friend that tests auto paints in his lab. He simulated years of exposure to weather, the sealer held up just fine and earned my trust. It's the best stain protection I've found and the flat finish makes my work look natural. As with many aspects of our trade like admixtures , mix designs, etc... opinions vary. The more tools you have in your toolbox the better and more consistent your work will be..

I was going to search for '14' but going to page 1 of this thread was a lot easier ;)

Paul Lundy said:

So Allen you have made 136 tops since 2-13-11? That's a lot of work.
Allen Maynard said:

Good advice Mark, I read your application commentary and you are spot on..........I've got well over 150 tops and haven't had one problem......

Quick note.... Allen has offered some good suggestions on repair and has really gone out of his way to be helpful.  Also, shout out to Bob for also offering advice and help.  Thanks guys! 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sponsor's Training

Concrete Countertop Mix Recipes

Featured Product

Featured Product 

Fishstone's Super-SIX-Admix™ is a proprietary blend of SIX different admixtures designed to achieve pinhole free, dense and strong concrete that will free flow in precast molds.  Super SIX makes it easy to produce Ultra high performance concrete (UHPC), also known as Engineered Concrete Composition (ECC) and Reactive Powder Concrete (RPC).  Super-SIX™  is a non-hazardous material utilizing the newest and most advanced technologies.

© 2018   Created by Tom Fischer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service