Hello forum, it's been awhile since I last visited and I am interested to see if anyone else has decided to leave countertops behind? 

After doing it for 15 years , I believe there are greater things that can be done with our beloved material in conjunction with other disciplines rather than schlepping slabs up and down stairs; don't get me wrong if I were more of a businessman and less of an artist I would pay laborers to fabricate and install like I used to before the crash; however, with this route there was always call backs or miscommunications. It is really a quality control business that I found can only really be kept at a high quality with direct supervision.

The other rub is fabricating something you hate; as in having to follow a design you think is garbage, despite my attempted slight nudging against the mistake.

I guess I lost my heart following other peoples design.

Now that the economy is better I have had to listen to my inner voice and design for me, not anyone else. I know there will be post like "who the f*** is this guy?" and "why the f*** do we care?' ... and that kind of response is actually justified. 

I learned this industry in the early days of the resurgence of concrete countertops from a master and will hold those experiences with great nostalgia.

There are a few giants on here that I respect whole heartedly and I it would be great to gain some feedback positive and negative. 

For those of you still committed to this specific part of our industry , keep up the good work fight the hard fight and be patient with "difficult" customers. 

Views: 1819

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Spent 2 years in the concrete counter business, and quickly grew tiered of humping slabs. I switched two years ago to concrete furniture and have never looked back. Much more a creative process than tops.

Yes Tim , concrete is like hotel California : u can check out but u can't leave.
Well the move to furniture has been killer, booked for a month, taking only cool or lucrative concrete jobs with zero downsides, life is good. Will post some furniture in my profile.

great to hear man

Fascinating discussion Comrades.
I'm beginning to realize that to possess artistic talent/vision/skill is
is both a blessing and a curse.
You long to have the freedom and scope to make what you
See in your head but few want or if they do they want it cheap.
Hats off to those who find that sweet-spot that brings in both money and opportunity to create.
The sweet spot comes to me on occasion but never consistently----yet.
I am primarily a mason but doing more and more artsy concrete as time goes by.
Really enjoy learning from you all.
Has anyone read Ayn Rand's great novel
'The Fountainhead'?
Her character Howard Roark is us--- the talented visionary who fights his way upstream against those who just don't get it---and perseveres.

JB in SC

And after 2 years of saying I'm out of the business i still haven't fully left and now just on word of mouth I am booked for 2 months WTF, there goes my America's Got Talent dreams. Concrete is like the mafia, it keeps pulling you back in.

I think most of us have found ourselves in the same position.  For many years I have disillusioned by the countertops.  I have told my self more times than I can remember that I was going to pursue furniture, or water features, tiles, or I was only going to do vanities.  Then another job calls in and another job gets done.   

I am sure it will continue to be a roller coaster ride.  

That's funny....Concrete is an addiction! 

tim culloton said:

And after 2 years of saying I'm out of the business i still haven't fully left and now just on word of mouth I am booked for 2 months WTF, there goes my America's Got Talent dreams. Concrete is like the mafia, it keeps pulling you back in.

The model in LA is one of constant transition , if you don't own your shop pray that your area doesn't get hot/hipstered. The stand alone shop space just isn't a reality when you are a one man band unless you are doing at least +20k a month. Beginning of the summer I received 10 days notice of a 200% rent increase, no way was the current shop worth that, I transitioned into more poured in place jobs and shrunk my circle of travel, this was only possible with the continued popularity of concrete as a design/surface element.

I was able limp along, doing anything that came my way and polished up on other mediums i neglected during the attempted hiatus, with renewed vigor it seems I've "cemented" my legacy to be concrete. Sorry couldn't resist. 

Really good to see some respected names still on here.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sponsor's Training

Concrete Countertop Mix Recipes

Featured Product

Featured Product of the Month

Fishstone's Super-SIX-Admix™ is a proprietary blend of SIX different admixtures designed to achieve pinhole free, dense and strong concrete that will free flow in precast molds.  Super SIX makes it easy to produce Ultra high performance concrete (UHPC), also known as Engineered Concrete Composition (ECC) and Reactive Powder Concrete (RPC).  Super-SIX™  is a non-hazardous material utilizing the newest and most advanced technologies.

© 2017   Created by Tom Fischer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service