Hi Folks i am about to cast a gfrc worktop using glass aggregate I know there can be a chemical reaction unless you take precautions can anybody give me a rundown on how to prevent this. thank you Darby 

Views: 213

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

HI Darby,

You need to replace part of your cement with a pozzolan like Alto-Pozz, Silica fume, Metakaolin or similar.  This will ward off ASR (Alkali Silica Reaction).

Tom Fischer- Fishstone,CCS said:

HI Darby,

You need to replace part of your cement with a pozzolan like Alto-Pozz, Silica fume, Metakaolin or similar.  This will ward off ASR (Alkali Silica Reaction)

Thanks Tom I always use Metakolin as a pozzolan about 5.0% replacement of the cement calculation .would I have to up it a bit? I was going to use about 10% glass on a hand placed 1st coat and maybe spray the backer coats. I notice you have a european distributor appointed, could you tell me what sealers he will have in stock.I moved over to making concrete furniture and I will be making a range of outdoor furniture in Gfrc. for 2018. I moved to furniture because I just could not get a decent sealer that would give me at least a 20 hour protection on my countertops.still I would love the option of making countertops again as I am starting to get a lot of inquires, I am at this on and off since  2002 and it is only now the market has started in concrete countertops.

Thanks Tom I always use Metakolin as a pozzolan about 5.0% replacement of the cement calculation .would I have to up it a bit? I was going to use about 10% glass on a hand placed 1st coat and maybe spray the backer coats. I notice you have a european distributor appointed, could you tell me what sealers he will have in stock.I moved over to making concrete furniture and I will be making a range of outdoor furniture in Gfrc. for 2018. I moved to furniture because I just could not get a decent sealer that would give me at least a 20 hour protection on my countertops.still I would love the option of making countertops again as I am starting to get a lot of inquires, I am at this on and off since  2002 and it is only now the market has started in concrete countertops.

Darby Crowley said:

Tom Fischer- Fishstone,CCS said:

HI Darby,

You need to replace part of your cement with a pozzolan like Alto-Pozz, Silica fume, Metakaolin or similar.  This will ward off ASR (Alkali Silica Reaction)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sponsor's Training

Concrete Countertop Mix Recipes

Featured Product

Featured Product 

Fishstone's Super-SIX-Admix™ is a proprietary blend of SIX different admixtures designed to achieve pinhole free, dense and strong concrete that will free flow in precast molds.  Super SIX makes it easy to produce Ultra high performance concrete (UHPC), also known as Engineered Concrete Composition (ECC) and Reactive Powder Concrete (RPC).  Super-SIX™  is a non-hazardous material utilizing the newest and most advanced technologies.

© 2018   Created by Tom Fischer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service