I was applying silicone to fill the seam on my countertop. I had taped off both sides with painters tape to avoid getting silicone on the countertops. I pulled the tape. A little while later I was unhappy with the seam so I retaped and reapplied the silicone. When I pulled the tape off the second time the sealer came up in a few spots. I assume the silicone hadn't been totally cleaned in these spots and the tape pulled it up. Is the sealer repairable? I have 5 coats of useal that has cured for about 2 weeks. I burnished up to 3000 grit.

Views: 228

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

5 coats may have been overkill. Put some sealer on the spots, let that dry and then sand the whole area down with like a 320 grit sand paper. recoat the whole thing

Reason I went with 5 is I was originally planning 4 but had a couple hairs land in my 4th coat so I gave it a light sanding and went with a 5th. Thank you.

Hi Anthony,

Absolutely repairable.  U-Seal and all waterborne urethanes have a longer full cure than solvent based sealers.  Although U-Seal has a 72 hour full cure for use it will really get much stronger as time goes on.  I am still somewhat surprised you had a few spots come up as U-Seal has a tenacious bond with the concrete particularly when using the diluted primer coat.

With that said do as Guido mentioned to repair.

Yea. I was surprised myself. At first I had thought I was seeing some silicone residue till I ran my finger nail on it and saw they were low spots. Should I stick with the same ratio for the final coats listed in the instructions for both the patch and the top coat over the whole surface?

yes for the patch...if you need to coat the entire surface then dilute however you want but I think you should be able to feather it in without coating the entire surface...
Anthony Argiropoulos said:

Yea. I was surprised myself. At first I had thought I was seeing some silicone residue till I ran my finger nail on it and saw they were low spots. Should I stick with the same ratio for the final coats listed in the instructions for both the patch and the top coat over the whole surface?
Ok cool. So for the patch go with the 5 -7 to 1 and if I need to coat the whole thing then drop to a 2 to 1. Would that be good?
Hi Tom,
I'm thinking of trying u seal. I have a question for you I have been using buddy Rhodes rps and it's give the concrete a brown tint when applied. How does u seal look after applied on just plain grey concrete?

Tom Fischer- Fishstone,CCS said:

Hi Anthony,

Absolutely repairable.  U-Seal and all waterborne urethanes have a longer full cure than solvent based sealers.  Although U-Seal has a 72 hour full cure for use it will really get much stronger as time goes on.  I am still somewhat surprised you had a few spots come up as U-Seal has a tenacious bond with the concrete particularly when using the diluted primer coat.

Hi Jon,

U-Seal is completely clear but is an enhancing sealer.  Not quite as enhancing as the wet look but between how the concrete color looks when it is wet and dry.

Give it a try...I'm sure you will like it.  Just about everyone who has tried it has switched.

Tom
Jon McNabb said:

Hi Tom,
I'm thinking of trying u seal. I have a question for you I have been using buddy Rhodes rps and it's give the concrete a brown tint when applied. How does u seal look after applied on just plain grey concrete?

Tom Fischer- Fishstone,CCS said:

Hi Anthony,

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sponsor's Training

Concrete Countertop Mix Recipes

Featured Product

Featured Product of the Month

Fishstone's Super-SIX-Admix™ is a proprietary blend of SIX different admixtures designed to achieve pinhole free, dense and strong concrete that will free flow in precast molds.  Super SIX makes it easy to produce Ultra high performance concrete (UHPC), also known as Engineered Concrete Composition (ECC) and Reactive Powder Concrete (RPC).  Super-SIX™  is a non-hazardous material utilizing the newest and most advanced technologies.

© 2017   Created by Tom Fischer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service