Have any of you noticed color variation from Federal white vs Lehigh white portland?  

I used Lehigh for the first time today.  I have always used Fed white only because its easier to get in my area.  

After a miss hap in the shop we scrambled to recast 1 of 2 piece arrangement.   I was only able to get Lehigh, which buts into a fed white piece.  pigmented to light grey and will receive some light apps of BR glaze.  

Any preference of one over the other in general?

Lehigh seemed to generate significantly more heat then Fed white.  

Views: 104

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, there is a color difference between the two.  When engineering mixes I use FW cement.  FW is very reliable in color as it comes from the same location it has come from since the beginning and will continue to come from the same location long after we are gone.

Lehigh is a blend of materials that comes from several locations, each location has a different color and how it is blended depends solely on how much of what comes in at which time. (meaning there is no set ratio that they adhere to for blending to assure consistency, well none that I know of) Although the differences appear slight, I have seen the difference make dramatic changes in the final color.

I never saw much difference in exothermic reactions.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sponsor's Training

Concrete Countertop Mix Recipes

Featured Product

Featured Product of the Month

Fishstone's Super-SIX-Admix™ is a proprietary blend of SIX different admixtures designed to achieve pinhole free, dense and strong concrete that will free flow in precast molds.  Super SIX makes it easy to produce Ultra high performance concrete (UHPC), also known as Engineered Concrete Composition (ECC) and Reactive Powder Concrete (RPC).  Super-SIX™  is a non-hazardous material utilizing the newest and most advanced technologies.

© 2017   Created by Tom Fischer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service