What I am attempting to do here is make a water tight casting plug to speed up the mold set up process for pouring my concrete pots.   I have cut the bottom out of my container, which will also be my outside concrete mold.   I am going to pour about 3/4 inch of mold rubber into this container.

In production I will lay this piece of mold rubber on a flat surface, put the inside plug on top, and then snap the container over them.   So, it's really a 3 part mold.  This should eliminate having to seal the outside rim with clay each time I setup to pour.  

The store where I purchased this container did not have snap on lids in this size.  I will check the mfg's website and see if they are available for this size container.  If they are, then I probably won't need to make more of these water tight plugs for this container mold.   I'll just buy the lids for $.60.

However, other containers I will be using for molds do not have lids available so this is my test to see how well I can make my own.   And to see how well this works.   Just thought I would share it.   Simple, easy and inexpensive mold making.

Views: 389

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dave I myself understand the images perfectly well, if you want to be very helpful, or most helpful,, lol, present 2 o 3 pics showing the steps as to how you assemble that contraption. Concrete pots is e very interesting, complementary if you wish, side of business and creativity... I'm getting some poly rubber soon. Will share info to exchange points of views that may be helpful for you, me and many here ...

Hi Dave, I would also like more information on how you make your pots.eg, what you use for you inner part of the mould,

I will post all the pics when finished.   I made a mistake.  Did not mix enough mold rubber, then tried to mix more on the fly and did not get the measurements right.   

The 4 piece pot mold worked out well.  Can't wait to pour some concrete.   It all snaps together, is water tight, and aligned properly.   Easily comes apart for demolding and cleaning.    A couple taps on the rubber stopper should pop the inner plug out.   Outside container is cheap and replaceable if it breaks.

I you have problems demolding the inner plug.  You may want to use a foam core inside of the plug next time. Put a liitle more relief on the foam core.  So when you demold, you would first pull the foam core and that will make the rubber plug a little for flexable.  If you want some pics to explain, let me know and I will see if I can find.

I'd like to see that, if you find the time.   I would like to start making some pots that are curved or have concave sides inside.  I can't explain it.  But the mold for that will not pop out, it would have to be destroyed to demold, if you know what Im talking about.   I know of some ways to do it.

Curt Pieper said:

I you have problems demolding the inner plug.  You may want to use a foam core inside of the plug next time. Put a liitle more relief on the foam core.  So when you demold, you would first pull the foam core and that will make the rubber plug a little for flexable.  If you want some pics to explain, let me know and I will see if I can find.

Here I go to pour a pot.   Expect nothing but perfection.

I will look. You  can always call if you want.  616-836-3576

Dave McVey said:

I'd like to see that, if you find the time.   I would like to start making some pots that are curved or have concave sides inside.  I can't explain it.  But the mold for that will not pop out, it would have to be destroyed to demold, if you know what Im talking about.   I know of some ways to do it.

Curt Pieper said:

i have been using pvc pipe as a filler/support inside rubber forming the inside of the mold, i have also used plastic kitchen bowls for the same purpose. i like it for 2 main reasons, firstly i require less rubber for the making the molds and its easy to remove the plugs. the pipe just slides out and then the rubber will easily flex away from the sides. the pipe is good because you get a good range of diameters and if one gets damaged it can be easily replaced.

two bowls used to make bowl/sink mold, the chrome ring is of a shower tap set i put a piece of 25mm pvc pipe in the centre and pour the rubber. i used the same size pvc to make some relief in the plug pour in the kiddie cup

i use the bowl mold with the tap collar mold to make a small sink mold. the waste is extended with an old tube of silcone. works perfectly for the waste sets i have available.

i use the little cup plug with empty yoghurt containers to make small candle holders pots etc. i just cut the bottom out of the yoghurt tub and fill away.

this one was some molded plastic packaging from kids toys. apart from the sink mold none of these pieces have much use on the business side of things but i do this because i like it.

creativeconcepts said:

i have been using pvc pipe as a filler/support inside rubber forming the inside of the mold, i have also used plastic kitchen bowls for the same purpose. i like it for 2 main reasons, firstly i require less rubber for the making the molds and its easy to remove the plugs. the pipe just slides out and then the rubber will easily flex away from the sides. the pipe is good because you get a good range of diameters and if one gets damaged it can be easily replaced.

Wow, thanks for the pic.  Great Idea, I spent 3 hours getting that plug out.  

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sponsor's Training

Concrete Countertop Mix Recipes

Featured Product

Featured Product 

Fishstone's Super-SIX-Admix™ is a proprietary blend of SIX different admixtures designed to achieve pinhole free, dense and strong concrete that will free flow in precast molds.  Super SIX makes it easy to produce Ultra high performance concrete (UHPC), also known as Engineered Concrete Composition (ECC) and Reactive Powder Concrete (RPC).  Super-SIX™  is a non-hazardous material utilizing the newest and most advanced technologies.

© 2018   Created by Tom Fischer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service