Hi all,

I need to make a large mold and am looking for a product and method available in the UK for sealing MDF. Previously,i have biscuit joined mdf and then routed and filled the join with car body filler. Then i have sealed the MDF with G4.

I have found it difficult to get the surface smooth and don't want to spray G4 as its pretty nasty stuff. Do you UK/Europe guys have any sealers that you would recommend that i could spray and would do the job. I'm thinking some sort of polyurethane?

Cheers,

Curt.

Views: 268

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry I don't know what you have available in the UK but anything with zero water absorption should work...like a fiberglass resin, liquid plastics...etc...

Thanks for the reply Tom,

I have been using a sealer that i roll on and it works well, however i spend so much time rolling and sanding. I would spray it but it contains cyanates. Took me 2 days to prepare a casting surface, theres got to be easier ways.....

You should be ok to spray as long as you use a full face respirator.  Contact the manufacture about spraying and safety...

Curt Bell said:

Thanks for the reply Tom,

I have been using a sealer that i roll on and it works well, however i spend so much time rolling and sanding. I would spray it but it contains cyanates. Took me 2 days to prepare a casting surface, theres got to be easier ways.....

use Formica

it's waterproof and smooth.. glossy or matte finish (slight texture)

Hey Curt,

Maybe try a fibreglass resin and car body filler mix, They call it a milkshake. Just pour it all over and it has some self levelling properties but will still need sanding. Then a few coats of wax and jobs a good un.

I have heard of somebody spraying a product called Duratec, its a spray filler primer.

https://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk/product/durabuild-surface-pr...

Hope this helps

As Tom and Mostin said, fiberglass resin (polyester resin) is available all over. You can thin it with acetone to get it to soak in more to a porous surface or if you want to spray. Respirator, long sleeves, and ventilation are a must. I hate sanding polyester resin but it is cheap compared to epoxy.

You should also have epoxies available to you there. A marine supply store should supply high grade marine epoxy which will work well.

If you have a plastic supplier around you could buy sheets of ABS. Cut, bend, epoxy together, sand as needed.

I use a 2 part epoxy and use a small roller. 2 thin coats with a sand inbetween. Polish with a fibreglass release polish/wax. This will give a great surface and will release with no residue.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sponsor's Training

Concrete Countertop Mix Recipes

Featured Product

Featured Product of the Month

Fishstone's Super-SIX-Admix™ is a proprietary blend of SIX different admixtures designed to achieve pinhole free, dense and strong concrete that will free flow in precast molds.  Super SIX makes it easy to produce Ultra high performance concrete (UHPC), also known as Engineered Concrete Composition (ECC) and Reactive Powder Concrete (RPC).  Super-SIX™  is a non-hazardous material utilizing the newest and most advanced technologies.

© 2017   Created by Tom Fischer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service