Hey all,

I need to do part of a job that will be a 4" thick piece with one "rough" side that will face out. Not quite a faux rock face but closer to a rough bluestone face. I was thinking of using a piece of 1" foam on that face of the mold and roughing it up then pouring on it. Maybe using some mold release on that face as well. Anyone have any ideas? By the way it is an SCC mix

Views: 245

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

slice 4" strips of clay, about 1/4" and put it against the mold wall.  take a few real rocks and push them into the clay at varying degrees.  Cast quick. when the clay dries it will shrink and pull away from the mold wall, also cracking and shortening in length

I've done the beat-up Styrofoam trick, and it works fairly well, very realistic. The challenge is to clean out all the foam bits. I would suggest coating the foam face with urethane and then waxing the crap out of the urethane before casting against it. Then brush the cast face with a 120 g silicon carbide brush.

I use clay also, but press the clay into a rubber slate,blue stone or granite seamless stamp mat (one you would use for stamping an overlay) and place it against the edge you want the texture.

Not sure of your exact desired look but you can rip a 6" strip lightly torch with A plumbers torch. Then re-rip both edges straight to your 4". Then,... Wax the shhh out of it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sponsor's Training

Concrete Countertop Mix Recipes

Featured Product

Featured Product 

Fishstone's Super-SIX-Admix™ is a proprietary blend of SIX different admixtures designed to achieve pinhole free, dense and strong concrete that will free flow in precast molds.  Super SIX makes it easy to produce Ultra high performance concrete (UHPC), also known as Engineered Concrete Composition (ECC) and Reactive Powder Concrete (RPC).  Super-SIX™  is a non-hazardous material utilizing the newest and most advanced technologies.

© 2019   Created by Tom Fischer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service