I have been away a bit but it looks like there is no activity here anymore. Did everyone quit or are concrete countertops out of style?

Views: 245

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I actually forgot about CCF! I am rarely on my computer anymore. Almost always tablet or phone. Just clicked here to see what's been happening myself. Kind of shocked it's so dead. I've been putting my time into IG, LinkedIn, and finally started using FB. Joined the Concrete group and Masters of Mud group on FB.

I know this group was not vert ative a year ago. Its too bad everyone left.
Let's get it going again...what sealer are you using?
I use a granite and sealer.i would like to use others but i only got 1 countertop last year. They are not popular in my area.
Try U-Seal Henry. Easy to apply. Great stain resistance. Impressive scratch resistance. Better price than comparable sealers. I love it. You can use it on anything, not just counters. Great matte finish with the addition of Crete Barrier (Fishstone’s colloidal silica).
I wish I got less counter requests. I only do them to keep certain clients happy or to fill schedule voids.

Thank you Vince.  I have tried getting more countertops for a long time.  I did an exposed aggregate and the only way to get the job was to beat granite price.  $45 dollars per sq ft for exposed.  Can't make money at that.

Wow! That is waaaayyyyy too low for this area. I wouldn’t touch a counter in the past for less than $100 sf, 125 if grind/polish, 150 oversized(to start), etc. Finally raised my prices a little last year to account for the increase in costs over time. Supplies, rent, tools, insurance have all gone up. 

We essentially hand craft custom furniture and fixtures for people. We can not be trying to compete with cheap and/or mass produced products. I have been to a client’s homes who paid 13K for a large natural stone kitchen island top. It was probably close to 5’x10’. Another paid 9K+ for a Cedar slab for their island (maybe 4x8). It cracked over time. The last 5’x10.5’ island I did was 9.5K and in retrospect it should have been much more. 

Where do you live? I know every market can vary. Seattle Metro is getting expensive like California.

wherever we are, I sincerely believe our industry deserves to get paid as artisans, and not just as common tradesmen. 

Henry Fehr said:

Thank you Vince.  I have tried getting more countertops for a long time.  I did an exposed aggregate and the only way to get the job was to beat granite price.  $45 dollars per sq ft for exposed.  Can't make money at that.

I'm up in Canada.  I know what you mean with prices should be higher.  

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sponsor's Training

Concrete Countertop Mix Recipes

Featured Product

Featured Product 

Fishstone's Super-SIX-Admix™ is a proprietary blend of SIX different admixtures designed to achieve pinhole free, dense and strong concrete that will free flow in precast molds.  Super SIX makes it easy to produce Ultra high performance concrete (UHPC), also known as Engineered Concrete Composition (ECC) and Reactive Powder Concrete (RPC).  Super-SIX™  is a non-hazardous material utilizing the newest and most advanced technologies.

© 2019   Created by Tom Fischer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service